Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: car service

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Harry View Post
    hi lads and ladies what do you think i got this letter from the main VW car dealer where i bought my car i bought the car new 5 years ago but because the main dealer was so expensive for the maintenance i get the same job done with another guy for less than half the price...anyway i know my timing belt is due a change at 120km ..but because my car is 5 years old the main dealers sent me a scary letter ... saying that even though my cars kilometers are still low my timeing belt should be automatically changed regardless of the miles ....are they taking the piss or what you think?

They are correct its so many km or 5 or 6 years it varies model to model if its a diesel I would definitely advise you to get it done and have the water pump replaced also. If the belt breaks on a ptdi diesel you are looking at around a €1000.00 for a descent second hand engine plus labour costs for fitting it. Its just not worth the risk for the sake of around €400.00 to have it done.

Reviews

thanks to everyone's advice here the car is booked in for a timing belt change now i will just use the company's car until its ready .. i haven't got the same interest in cars as i use to so my days of buying brand new cars is done ...there a bloody waste of money .....thanks to you all again

3. Default

I own and drive 2 vechicles one I put up 20,000 km per year the other 2000 km per year and find that the cost is roughly the same in maintence on both in fact the one which sits propably cost more. When cars are sitting the exhaust and even the tyres sometimes degrade. As for a timing belt Im sure an item like this can wear out but also possibly has a limited life span and start to weaken and also degrade. I would suggest getting it replaced in or around the appointed time as the fiber type belt can loose teeth or even unravel.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Harry View Post
    thanks to everyone's advice here the car is booked in for a timing belt change now i will just use the company's car until its ready .. i haven't got the same interest in cars as i use to so my days of buying brand new cars is done ...there a bloody waste of money .....thanks to you all again
    hhahaha you'll be driving up to the garage and there'll be a bang and a big puff of smoke. Timing belt goes.

doing the lotto this week Harold?
    Westside.

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Westsidex View Post
    hhahaha you'll be driving up to the garage and there'll be a bang and a big puff of smoke. Timing belt goes.

doing the lotto this week Harold?
    Westside.
    not at all amigo i have faith in German engineering....and as for the Lotto thanks for reminding me i have been pretty busy and almost forgot about that

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123