Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Leo steppin down

Quote Originally Posted by phunbill View Post
    It was a great day when he became leader, an openly gay leader made Ireland another first in the world.

But I have seldom been more disappointed in anybody,
    He had 2 main jobs to do, in every election recently the 2 issues were housing and health, and his government has been a total failure on both.
    When the country is awash with money to build houses the numbers they are boasting are pathetic, 20-30K annually, we need that monthly.
    And as a doctor he should well know that throwing money at the HSE is not the solution to anything.

He will not be missed, (and I am sure he will not be reading this)
    With all the money in the world you're not going to be able to build houses without construction capacity. That means electricians, plumbers, plasterers etc. With the country at full employment you need to import workers. Who need to be housed. So catch 22. And you need financing for small builders, but banks were and are still in the post-crash foetal position and too risk averse to lend.

If you just throw more money at the same number of builders, all you do is increase their profits and building inflation.

The covid epidemic, global supply chain shocks, worldwide inflation and the largest refugee crisis in Europe in 80 years all contributed to making conditions even worse.

No government is going to deliver 20-30k homes per month unless they're repurposed shipping containers with buckets for toilets. It's a lot easier to promise these things in opposition.

The only time housing isn't an issue is when there's a housing crash and net emigration.

What Leo and co inherited from FF 14 years ago was a country that was only semi independent with the IMF running our budgets, unemployment that peaked at 15.5% and an insolvent banking system.
    Last edited by Palatine; 20-03-24 at 18:43.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Palatine For This Useful Post:

gameboy (21-03-24), TonyB (21-03-24)

Quote Originally Posted by Rooney2808 View Post
    Leo Varadkar is to step down as Taoiseach and as leader of Fine Gael
    Could t have happened a nicer fella!!

I wonder what he was caught doing this time?
    DUBLIN 24 TALLAGHT until Thursday 25th April TRALEE Co.KERRY from Mon 29th April!!!
    **SEE MY VIRTUAL AD, WHATSAPP ME FOR A CHAT ON CAM!!**
    CHECK OUT MY TWITTER/X @IRISH_JENNYEI for 100s more photos & daily photos!!
    !]

Looks like simon harris will be the new taoiseach and fine gael leader. Seems he mightn't even have any opposition for fine gael leader.

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Ketchup2023 View Post
    Looks like simon harris will be the new taoiseach and fine gael leader. Seems he mightn't even have any opposition for fine gael leader.
    Another wanker. Worse than the previous wanker.
    I'd have more respect for Leo.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to TonyB For This Useful Post:

WellDressed (22-03-24)

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Palatine View Post
    With all the money in the world you're not going to be able to build houses without construction capacity. That means electricians, plumbers, plasterers etc. With the country at full employment you need to import workers. Who need to be housed. So catch 22. And you need financing for small builders, but banks were and are still in the post-crash foetal position and too risk averse to lend.

If you just throw more money at the same number of builders, all you do is increase their profits and building inflation.

The covid epidemic, global supply chain shocks, worldwide inflation and the largest refugee crisis in Europe in 80 years all contributed to making conditions even worse.

No government is going to deliver 20-30k homes per month unless they're repurposed shipping containers with buckets for toilets. It's a lot easier to promise these things in opposition.

The only time housing isn't an issue is when there's a housing crash and net emigration.

What Leo and co inherited from FF 14 years ago was a country that was only semi independent with the IMF running our budgets, unemployment that peaked at 15.5% and an insolvent banking system.
    Bureaucratic nonsense.
    Unrealistic building rules
    Frankly insane taxation
    Bureaucratic planning

Makes building the level of housing required impossible.

You can't encourage anyone to do anything by increasing bureaucracy and taxation

We can't afford a housing crash. It's already not viable to build proper affordable homes, pay tax and compete with current prices
    Last edited by TonyB; 21-03-24 at 19:46.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to TonyB For This Useful Post:

WellDressed (22-03-24)

Reviews

Another unelected Taoiseach

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rooney2808 For This Useful Post:

Silvergrey25 (21-03-24), TonyB (21-03-24), WellDressed (22-03-24)

Quote Originally Posted by TonyB View Post
    Another wanker. Worse than the previous wanker.
    I'd have more respect for Leo.
    I get the feeling you dont like politicians.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Ketchup2023 For This Useful Post:

TonyB (25-03-24)

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Ketchup2023 View Post
    I get the feeling you dont like politicians.
    The system is generating selfish self seeking people.
    Nothing can get done because of bureaucracy.

The problem is the bureaucrats, they seek to justify their existence and cause more problems than those they claim to solve.
    They're out of control, common sense is out of reach of well meaning men and women

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TonyB For This Useful Post:

Silvergrey25 (21-03-24), WellDressed (22-03-24)

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Rooney2808 View Post
    Another unelected Taoiseach
    How on earth is he 'unelected'???? He, like every other TD, was elected by the people. The Taoiseach is elected by Dail Eireann. A Taoiseach is never chosen by the people. That's our system.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Airbusdriver For This Useful Post:

Palatine (21-03-24)

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast