Thread: Impossible

Reviews

Default Impossible

As 2023 draws to a close, I want you all to remember one thing. You... are impossible.

Well, to say you're impossible is not entirely true but the odds of you, or any single one of us, actually existing is so improbable that it may as well be impossible. Since the dawn of our species, which we are nothing more than advanced primates, it's estimated that 100 billion of us has come, and gone; 7-8% of which are currently living. It's also estimated that the total number of humans that could ever live is 400 trillion. I'll spare you all the mathematical headache, but the percentage of humans that have ever lived to those that could ever live is 0.025%. In layman's terms. that is one fortieth (1/40) of 1%. Over the course of our debated 200,000 - 300,000 year history, with over 100 billion humans come and gone... only 0.025% of all possible humans have ever lived.

So, what's with all the mathematics you ask? Well. These are, very strange times. We are seeing an ever increasing population who simply do not appreciate what they've got. Whether that be a dry roof over their heads, a warm abode, access to clean water for drinking and washing, or even the simple trivial matter of their existence. Speaking personally, I'm not a wealthy chap by any means. But I certainly am rich. A dry roof, warmth, clean water, knowing where my next meal is coming from, etc. What much more could anyone possibly ask for? And yet for so many today, that is not enough.

Imagine how many millions more out there would kill to be so privileged as of any one of us, who dare feign victimhood or oppression because they want more than what they need to survive and live a good life? Imagine how many more millions have died for desire of same?

Life's not easy. It's not supposed to be. Never has been, never will be. That is the law of nature. But far too many forget that, and as they forget that they take what they have for granted. They become greedy, arrogant, self-absorbed.

Most of us here that read this, lead very privileged lives indeed. We all have our problems yes, but so too does everyone else. The difference is in how you deal with it. You can choose to face your problems, or let your problems face you.

The odds of you being born are incredibly improbable. One set of genes out of place and you would be completely different. And the fact that you're here reading this means that whatever set of circumstances has led you through life, really hasn't been all that bad has it? So appreciate what you've got. Because most people won't ever live to appreciate what you have.
    ladiesman217: April 2009 to April 2024

Goodbye

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ladiesman217 For This Useful Post:

AmorInfinito8 (31-12-23), IAmLIAm (01-01-24), mascol (31-12-23), Nononsense111 (31-12-23), oldfool (31-12-23), Stephanie (31-12-23), Thoreau (31-12-23)

Reviews

I take great heart and optimism from this wonderful perspective - pure genius - has to be commended for its originality.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Thoreau For This Useful Post:

AmorInfinito8 (31-12-23), IAmLIAm (01-01-24), mascol (31-12-23), Nononsense111 (31-12-23), Stephanie (31-12-23)

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by ladiesman217 View Post
    As 2023 draws to a close, I want you all to remember one thing. You... are impossible.

Well, to say you're impossible is not entirely true but the odds of you, or any single one of us, actually existing is so improbable that it may as well be impossible. Since the dawn of our species, which we are nothing more than advanced primates, it's estimated that 100 billion of us has come, and gone; 7-8% of which are currently living. It's also estimated that the total number of humans that could ever live is 400 trillion. I'll spare you all the mathematical headache, but the percentage of humans that have ever lived to those that could ever live is 0.025%. In layman's terms. that is one fortieth (1/40) of 1%. Over the course of our debated 200,000 - 300,000 year history, with over 100 billion humans come and gone... only 0.025% of all possible humans have ever lived.

So, what's with all the mathematics you ask? Well. These are, very strange times. We are seeing an ever increasing population who simply do not appreciate what they've got. Whether that be a dry roof over their heads, a warm abode, access to clean water for drinking and washing, or even the simple trivial matter of their existence. Speaking personally, I'm not a wealthy chap by any means. But I certainly am rich. A dry roof, warmth, clean water, knowing where my next meal is coming from, etc. What much more could anyone possibly ask for? And yet for so many today, that is not enough.

Imagine how many millions more out there would kill to be so privileged as of any one of us, who dare feign victimhood or oppression because they want more than what they need to survive and live a good life? Imagine how many more millions have died for desire of same?

Life's not easy. It's not supposed to be. Never has been, never will be. That is the law of nature. But far too many forget that, and as they forget that they take what they have for granted. They become greedy, arrogant, self-absorbed.

Most of us here that read this, lead very privileged lives indeed. We all have our problems yes, but so too does everyone else. The difference is in how you deal with it. You can choose to face your problems, or let your problems face you.

The odds of you being born are incredibly improbable. One set of genes out of place and you would be completely different. And the fact that you're here reading this means that whatever set of circumstances has led you through life, really hasn't been all that bad has it? So appreciate what you've got. Because most people won't ever live to appreciate what you have.
    Great post

Very easy to get worked up on imperfections, blemishes or things we can’t improve on

There are people far less fortunate

In perspective, we are all extremely lucky

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Nononsense111 For This Useful Post:

IAmLIAm (01-01-24), mascol (31-12-23), Stephanie (31-12-23), Thoreau (31-12-23)

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by ladiesman217 View Post

Great post
    A huge blunt kick up the hole with positivity, it's the only way to keep moving forward in this world filled with complications that we seek onto ourselves.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mascol For This Useful Post:

IAmLIAm (01-01-24), Nononsense111 (31-12-23), Stephanie (31-12-23)